- FLAVELLE, WESTCOTT posted by Harold Hambrose on Sunday, September 15, 1996
- I am looking for any information on Harold Flavelle Westcott, MD, his sister Alice Westcott and their ancestors. Both were raised by aunts in Philadelphia after the death of their mother. Their father relocated to Pittsburgh and remarried. Flavelle was Harold's mother's maiden name.
Harold graduated from Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia with a Medical Degree in 1917 after winning the Surgery Award for that graduating class. He married Grace Rushton, a nurse at Cooper Hospital in Camden, NJ. Both served in military hospitals. Harold and Grace lived in Clementon,NJ, and Clayton, NY after their time with the Army in NYC and New Mexico.
Harold was close to a Dr. Moon during and after his years at Jefferson University.
- ALDEN, FANCHER posted by Sue Doughty on Sunday, September 15, 1996
- Hi, I am looking for a George D. Alden b. September 4, 1847; his wife was Alice Fancher b. Oct.3,1847 in Baldwinsville, NY. Alice died in Philadelphia June 1892. Looking for any documentation that they lived there.
- BEAHM, WHITEHEAD posted by Marcia Beahm on Sunday, September 15, 1996
- Looking for George and Emma (nee Whitehead) Beahm in Phila area around 1900.
Looking for information on A & J Whitehead, Coach Makers, located on Ridge Ave in Phila. about 1850.
- CLEMENTS posted by Kathy Megee on Sunday, September 15, 1996
- I am currently doing genealogy on the Clements name in Philadelphia co. in 1933 but am unable to get the Polk directories from an IDAHO Library to do interlibrary loans.
- CONBOY, MORRISSSEY posted by James Conboy on Sunday, September 15, 1996
- I am attempting to locate information regarding J.B Morrissey and his wife whose maiden name was CONBOY. Mrs. Morrissey was my grandfather's 1st cousin, she was born in Chicago and was the daughter of Cornelius and Katherine Murphy Conboy. The Morrisseys were living in Philidelphia in 1924.
- CHANDLER, DENSEY, MITCHELL, ROBINS, SMITH posted by Cleona Random on Sunday, September 15, 1996
- Looking for information on Ann Chandler b l684 d l758 Philadelphia m to Samuel Robins had daughter Sarah b l7ll d l788 Philadelphia. Ann's father was George and mother was Jane Smith. Also interested in information on Thomas Mitchell d l747 Philadelphia and his wife Sarah Densey d l743 Philadelphia.
- ROBINSON posted by Ed Elkin on Sunday, September 15, 1996
- ROBINSON, William, farmer, lived in Philadelphia area at least from 1812-1822, then moved to Savannah GA. Had one son born Jan 1812 in Philadelphia, name of wife, age, or other children unknown. Looking for any information on this man and his family.
- DOOL posted by Janice Dool on Sunday, September 15, 1996
- Looking for any information on DOOL, my great great grandfather was Lewis DOOL, lived on Almond Street, Port Richmond, Philadelphia, PA. Shows up in 1900 Census. Had 15 children, 10 living. Came to America in approx. 1839 from Canada. Trying to find HIS father and mother. Any help you can give would be appreciated.
Tried for marriage records, sometime in 1860, but no luck. His son Lewis, Jr. lived on Salmon St. and my grandfather lived on Mercer Street. Got info on family back to Lewis, Sr. Would like to research back to Canada, but need name of g.g.g.grandfather.
- FALLIS, FOLLAS, FOLLIS posted by Larry Follas on Sunday, September 15, 1996
- Seeking information on Thomas Fallis and family. He imigrated to Philidelphia in 1698, and lived there 23 years, before moving to Virginia.
- BRITTON, MULQUEEN posted by Cardin Corbit on Sunday, September 15, 1996
- I am looking for information on Andrew Laird Britton emmigrated from Ulster Province Ireland to Philadelphia in 1857. Lived at 4007 Chester Ave about 1865-1875. His wife was Ellen Mulqueen. His brother name unkown was married to Ellen sister. Andrew had a son William who attended and graduated from the University of Pennsylvania in 1879.
Any information on either of these families would be greatly appreciated.
- AMP, NUTT, POTTS, RUTTER, SAVAGE posted by Jack W. Michaels on Sunday, September 15, 1996
- Ann Rutter (1687-1760) dau of Thomas & Rebeccah (Staples) Rutter m Samuel Savage Jr (brother of my Zenas Savage and son of Samuel Savage Sr) c 1707 in Phil.
Ann & Samuel Savage had a dau, Ruth (1716-1786) who m John Potts and a dau, Rebeccah who m Samuel Nutt Jr and 2nd Robert Grace.
Are there any descendants of these Potts and Nutt families who know their Savage ancestry back to Worchester, England?
- NEHER, SCHNATZ posted by Darlene Schnatz on Sunday, September 15, 1996
- I am researching three families of Schnatz who entered US from Germany at Philadelphia probably about 1800. One family went on to NYC, the other two probably remained in Philadelphia area.
I am researching John Neher family and have little info to go on except already in USA in 1850.
- PRENDERGAST posted by Steven E. Prendergast on Sunday, September 15, 1996
- I am trying to find out imformation on JOHN PRENDERGAST,born around 1860. Had a son THOMAS FRANCIS PRENDERGAST born dec.5,1890 and three other children. Located in Philadelphia in the 1800's. THANKS!
- BOYD, MCCONNELL posted by Lenore E. Dixon on Sunday, September 15, 1996
- Looking for any information on James David BOYD (1832, Derry Ireland - 1890, Philadelphia) married Anna McCONNELL 1855 in Market Street Presbyterian Church. Children: James,Jr. (1857) ; William, Sarah, Catherine and Margaret. They lived in Germantown and also near the Philadelphia Naval Yards.
- LUCHS posted by Westley Annis on Sunday, September 15, 1996
- I am looking for any information regarding the Luchs family. The only info I have so far is my grand-mother, Ella Luchs, b. circa 1907. Married Albert Anthony Annis of Delaware County. Had at least one son, George Emil Annis, b. 7 Dec 1929 in Philadelphia.
- WATKINS posted by Ina Wallace on Sunday, September 15, 1996
- Cadawaladar WATKINS was a resident of Merion in the Welch Tract, county of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, as early as 1704. I believe he was listed as a witness(Cadd Watkins) at marriage of William Roberts and Anne Jones, 4 Dec, 1708, County of Philadelphia. Would appreciate corresponding with anyone who might have information regarding Cadawaladar ancestry. I have descendant information.
- NEWBURN posted by Marilyn Kucera on Sunday, September 15, 1996
- I am searching for others doing research on George Newburn, b. 1772 Bucks County, PA. died about 1815 in Philadelphia. Married Sarah ? ca 1794. Children: Aquilla, Mary, three daughters born 1800-1810, one son born 1800-1810. In 1814 George Newburn is listed as a weaver on York Road.
- COOPER posted by Pam Cooper on Sunday, September 15, 1996
- Looking for information about FREDERICK COOPER who married and divorced CHARLOTTE STEVENS HENDRIE. Charlotte was born 1888 in Scotland and came to America in 1900 at the age of 12. She married Frederick in abt. 1908 and they had two children: GRACE COOPER b. 1909 (married D.P. Culp) ; and CHARLES STEVENS COOPER b. 1911. Charles was born in the Wissahickon section of Philadelphia and was baptized at St. Stephen's Church in Wissahickon in 1911. He married and divorced (Unknown) and they had one daughter - DOLORES COOPER b. mid to late 1930's. Charles remarried Caroline S. Harrar in 1947. Any information about this branch of the Coopers would be helpful.
- PARSONS posted by Marilyn Brown on Sunday, September 15, 1996
- PARSONS, William b abt 1690 in Philadelphia m Hannah from Saxony in 1722. Died 1757 in Northampton County, PA.
William was Surveyor General of Pennsylvania under Thomas Penn. He also owned a mercantile on Second Street in the 1740's. I am looking for any information regarding William and Hannah Parsons, their known children: Johanna, Juliana, daugher (given name unknown), Robert, Susannah, or Hannah. It is believed that William Parsons had a son William b abt 1725 who was a member of the survey party which surveyed the transpennisular line (MD/DE) died before 1757.
Would like very much to correspond with others researching this line.
- GAFFIGAN posted by Gerald F. White on Sunday, September 15, 1996
- This is the last leg of my research into my four grandparents. The first three were easy, they all came from Ireland and the records there are great. However John T. Gaffigan is believed to have been born in Shenandoad, Schuykill County, PA in 1877. The parish church there apparently burned with the birth records. He had two sisters Mary (Mame) and Margaret (Peg). Two other sisters died in the flue epedemic. They must have come down to Philadelphia at the turn of the century and he married Louise Doherty in 1912. I do not know what parish they were in then. I have no documentation of his parents and cannot trace them to a county in Ireland. If there is anyone out there who can help, it would cetainly be appreciated.
- HECKEMAN, HECKMAN, HICKMAN posted by Doris Heckman-Lessig on Sunday, September 15, 1996
- Hildebrand Heckeman witnessed a wedding in 1752 at St. Michael's. Does anyone have information on the Heckeman/Heckman/Hickman surname in Philadelphia County up to 1800?
- CUSTER, EVANS, KENDALL, LANE, STAHL posted by Jack W. Michaels on Sunday, September 15, 1996
- William Stahl m Mary Lane, dau. of Edward & Ann(Evans) Lane, c 1767 in Phil. Co. Mary's family was of Limerick Twp. and I know there were Stahl's in Limmerick also. But I have not been able to place William. William & Mary had a dau., Christianna who m Nicholas Custer c 1784. I believe Willliam fought in the Rev. and he died c 1780. His widow, Mary m. a man by the name of Kendall c 1784. Any help would be appreciated.
- BAULL, BURNES posted by Ceil Hadry on Sunday, September 15, 1996
- Looking for information on Mary Ann BURNES who married William F. BAULL, Jr.
Mary Ann BURNES/BAULL died May 27, 1940. She came from Ireland but I have no idea of the County. Her parents were Sylvester BURNES and Margaret BURNES (nee SLAVIN)
Mary Ann and William lived in Philadelphia. They had one child that I know of, Helen BAULL. - Nickname Nellie. Helen was born October 3, 1887 in either Philadelphia or New York. Helen married Henry I. MAINES who had changed his name from PIATAGORSKY. They had many children.
William Francis BAULL, Jr. was born December 17, 1864 in Ireland, New York or Philadelphia. Information conflicts. He died September 9, 1912 in Philadelphia, Pa. His parents were William Francis BAULL, Sr and Margaret BAULL (nee Armstrong).
- COHL, EICHELBERGER, FREYER, KOHL posted by Ronald L. Worley on Sunday, September 15, 1996
- Seeking information about following Eichelberger siblings: Valentine b. ca 1748, m Eleonora/Lenora; John Peter b. 1754; Anna Catharina b. 1760; Joh. Henrich b. 1762; Susanna b. 1764, m. 1784 to Jacob Freyer; John b. 1769 or later; Maria Barbara b. 1771, m. 1791 to Henry Cohl/Kohl. Valentine lived in Philadelphia Co. through at least 1773, then migrating to Cumberland and Greene Cos., PA. Brothers and sisters born in New Hanover Twp., Philadelphia Co. (now Montgomery Co.).
- DUNGAN posted by Gary T. Dungan on Sunday, September 15, 1996
- Looking for any information on the Dungan line of Philadelphia. My great geart grandfather was George Washington Dungan born Oct 2,1820 in Germantown, Phila, Pa. Also any information on Lt Jonathan Dungan who served during the Revolutionary war in the 2nd Battalion, 2nd Company, Philadelphia Militia. His brother Benjamin Dungan was Captain of the first Company of the same Battalion. I'am a descent of the Rev Thomas Dungan of Rhode Island.
- CASHMAN posted by Bob Cashman on Sunday, September 15, 1996
- I have just started searching for the family history. I currenty cannot locate any living relatives. My grandparents (Cashman) both died in Philadelphia many years ago. My father was living in Delaware when he died. I have no idea where to start and cannot get to phila. to look up death records or to find out if my grandparents were bore there. All I do know is that his name was William Robert Cashman and that they lived on Gillespie St in NE phila. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
- HANNA, HOUSTON posted by Mary Jean Hall on Sunday, September 15, 1996
- Anyone know anything about John HANNA who married Frances HOUSTON on 22 Nov 1756 in Philadelphia, PA?
- MCLEAN, MCMULLIN, STEWART posted by Mary L. Watson on Sunday, September 15, 1996
- I am searching for the family of Alexander McLean. He came from Ireland as a boy with his family. Believe they came over before 1852. Is there ship records from Ireland around that time available?
He married around 1852 to a Jane McMullin, she died in 1860-61. Any records on her?
Also he remarried a Elizabeth Stewart in 1862 in Phila.PA. Looking for her family.
- RIEDINGER posted by Joyce Riedinger on Sunday, September 15, 1996
- Charles S. Riedinger emigrated to Philadelphia from Wurtenburg Germany around 1849. We would like to know who Charles S. Riedinger's wife was. We find Charles in the Philadelphia City Directories listed as brewer, baker, flour, feed, and in 1868 (food - Riedinger & Rasha). When he died in 1895 he was living with his son John. He was buried in Monument Cemetery in Philadelphia. We have found five male children. Charles, William, Jacob, John, and George. We are seeking further information about the early Riedingers' of Philadelphia.
- NIENHOLD posted by Joyce Riedinger on Sunday, September 15, 1996
- My husband's great-grandmother was Gertrude Nienhold. She was born in Philadelphia in 1849, married Charles F. Riedinger c1869. In the census record of 1870, we find Gertrude's mother "Fredericka Nienhold" living with Gertrude Nienhold Riedinger and her husband Charles Riedinger. Fredericka, it is stated, was born in Prussia. We do not know her maiden name nor her husband's first name. We would be interested in hearing from anyone who is researching the NIENHOLD surname.
- LEE, LEECH, SNYDER posted by Maryanne LeGrow on Sunday, September 15, 1996
- Particularly seeking info SNYDER and/or LEE families, Philadelphia city & environs.
Peter SNYDER b. PA ca. 1788, d. Phila. 1857 (unmarried)
Mary SNYDER b. PA ca. 1793, d. Phila 1856 (unmarried)
Ann B(arbara?)SNYDER? b. PA ca. 1788, d. Phila 1870: Married Thomas LEE
daughter Sarah LEE b. ca. 1830, d. Phila. 1897: M. David W.LEECH
who was a silversmith in center city Phila.
Ann B. (SNYDER?)is buried in plot of Peter Snyder, also Mary Snyder, in Old Cathedral Cemetery, Philly. Linked through obituaries to grandson who is in turn linked to Peter SNYDER; conjectured relationship not proven: can anyone help? Provide info on Snyder family? Thought to have been Catholic. Family of Thomas LEE not known, though seem to have been involved in center city jewelry & silver trade.
I'm Library Director of French-Canadian Genealogical Library in Tolland, Connecticut. Willing to trade research with someone from Phila. seeking French-Canadian roots.
- LAUGHEAD, LAWHEAD, LOCHHEAD, LOUGHEAD, LOUGHHEAD posted by Nancy Lawhead on Sunday, September 15, 1996
- Need information on a James & Catherine Loughhead which may be located in Records of the First Presbyterian Church, Record #4. I have a Thomas Loughhead born on Nov 23,1771 to this couple. Is there any more information on this family? The family name could be spelled any of the above ways. Also any Lawheads under any other spelling listed.
- CORYELL, LAUGHLIN posted by Bob Masters on Sunday, September 15, 1996
- I am looking for information about the William & George Laughlin familys. William born about 1820, died 1876. Possibly the sons of two Irish immigrant brothers also named William & George Laughlin.
William married to Isabella (Robinson?), buried at Mt. Moriah Cemetary, Philadelphia.
William had three (possibly 4) children: William Henry (d1896), George, and Matthew (born 1852 died 1886).
William Henry Laughlin married Jane (nickname Jennie) Miller, who also had three children: Mary (B1878), Thomas (B1892) Isabella (b1890). Members of Clearview Methodist-Episcopal Church, Philadelphia.
Also looking for the family of George Coryell, (B about 1857), to (I think), Emanuel Coryell, and is one of 8 children.)
- REIDE, REIDI, REIDY, REUTE, REUTY, REYDE, RIDY posted by Bette LoPresti on Sunday, September 15, 1996
- I am searching for descendants of Caspar Reyde who arrived in Philadelphia in November of 1763. According to records of the 1st German Reformed Church the name was variously spelled all of the above ways. About 1800 the name was usually spelled Reidy and by about 1820 it was spelled Ridey and Riday. My branch kept the Riday spelling while another branch kept the Ridey spelling. I would love to find out where Caspar was from and his wife Charlotte's maiden name. I am also looking for proof that he had a son named John who married Margaret Wisper on April 3, 1783 at the 1st Reformed Church. I would love to correspond with anyone researching any of these names.
- HANAWAY, HANNAWAY, HANWAY, MULLIN posted by Karen Mullian on Sunday, September 15, 1996
- MULLIN, David and wife Ruth HANNAWAY, HANAWAY, or HANWAY. David b. Wilmington, DE, d.c. 1850, possibly in Philadelphia. Ruth b.c. 1822 Phila., d.after 1850.
Their children were William H. MULLIN, b. 5/12/1844, Chester, Delaware Co., d. 11/7/1909, Coatesville, PA, m. 3/3/1874 Annie M. YARNALL; John MULLIN, b. 3/16/1845 in Delaware Co., d. 1/20/1911, Bryn Mawr Hosp., m. 10/15/1868 Mary Lewis PETERMAN; and a daughter, name, dates unknown. A Ruth McMullin appears in the 1850 census for Blockley Twp., Phila. with two sons William and John who are the right ages. She was living then in the household of Henry HAHN. Both William and John served in the Civil War.
Any information on this family would be most appreciated.
- DONAKER posted by John Donaker on Sunday, September 15, 1996
- Looking for any information on Christian Donaker who was listed as a tailor in the 1790 census for Phila. Lived in Middle District, South Third Street from Market to Chestnut. Also listed in the 1800 census. Requesting information on Widow Donaker listed with two sons in 1800 census, living in Phila. County, Out Part West, Northern Liberties.
Return to the Query/Surname Index Page
Return to Philadelphia County Genealogy Project
© 2001 Philadelphia County Genealogy Project